5/19/09

An Upside-Down Tree

NOTES
Date: May 19, 2009
Location: Woods south of McConnellsville Rd. and north of Oswego Rd., Blossvale, New York.
Company: Lily (Golden Retriever), Bela (Labradoodle).

Weather: Sunny, windy-but not in the forest, around 65F.

It was a nice day to walk the dogs, and I hadn't been out behind what is now Amanda's plot to do some exploring. I decided on taking the dogs out at around 1:30 pm. it was not the warmest part of the day, that came later. It remained windy for the duration, but was not very noticable in the woods.

I took the dogs out to the southernmost corner of the hay lot to where there was a suspicious looking den in a manure pile. However, Lily, in her haste to outdo everything Bela does, ran up the pile and collapsed the opening of the den. So much for "leave-no-trace" ethics.

After we entered back into the wooded area, the first tick check went underway. I found one small one on myself, but none on the dogs. Luckily I caught the little bug before he tore threw my genes and to shin.

I find it amazing how following a trail one way and back again, you will notice one thing the second time through but not the first. In this journey's context it was the upside-down tree:


Imagine the chances of this. The second photo displays the top that the tree fell out of before being strategically planted in my view later on in the walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment